Sunday, November 28, 2004

Say it, open it, stir it.

This was part of the kaya making process last night at a Singaporean friend's place (she's doing her undergrad in London) and between the 3 of us, that was our subdivision of labour.

We learn something new everyday; for me it was making kaya and lemon meringue yesterday. We didn't quite set out to make the latter but the leftover egg white from kaya making will go to waste if we didn't do anything with so there we were, 3 of us whisking the egg white with a fork in a bowl at 1.30am. It was quite a sight actually thinking about it coz it was a matter of endurance for your arm after a while.

Some other things I learnt yesterday...

When you live on your own, you have to take care of all your domestic things like cleaning, washing, cooking and at the same time making sure that you're within your budget. Lesson learnt: Living alone makes you more domesticated.

I realised that I really suck at baking...my technique of whisking was wrong so though I was at it a long time, it didn't really help the whole process much. Lesson learnt: Working smart is as important as working hard.

All 3 of us aren't really acquainted to baking and stuff, so we were all very amateurish and had to base lots of things on 'agar-ation'. We put the mix onto the baking tray directly the first 2 times...the lemon meringue turned out quite well in terms of taste but appearance was well, left to be desired. And it got stuck to the tray as well. It was then that we decided to use foil instead of putting the mix straight on the tray. Lesson learnt: Hands on experience is essential and through it you improve and try harder each time. It was such for baking, same principle applies to many things in life.

Much as this exchange has been about meeting new friends and learning about other cultures and stuff, it has also been a time when I spent time with Singaporean friends who are studying overseas. I have had fun with both groups of people and I'm privileged to have met these people in my life. Lesson learnt: Life is enriched by the people around you.

I am blessed.
Laudate dominum!